Translate

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Too cautious? ...PODay 163

I went shopping today and for the first time in a long time I tried things on. I've been taking a chance and buying things after just holding them up to me. Why? Because I still can get stuck! I can ease my right arm, the operated side, into a sleeve, no problem. But getting my left arm into the armhole usually ends up with the sleeve stuck at about the elbow. With a lot of struggle I might get the top to finally inch up and squirm into place but getting it off is even more difficult. I can't do that shoulder shrug thing that drops the shoulder of the shirt or jacket off your shoulders. If I finally get the shirt or jacket  to drop off my shoulders I'm kind of stuck. It's like a three stooges comedy where someone has pulled Moe's jacket down off his shoulders so his arms are pinned down and they can knock him  on the noggin. Don't even talk about zipping up a dress. I might get the zipper part way up but down...no way.

So my worry has been I will get stuck half in or half out of an article of clothing and have to call for help. Good grief, I might have to buy something just because I couldn't get it off.  Poor Dear Husband hears me calling for help at home frequently. I don't know what you would do if you lived alone. But today I made a little progress. I am getting more brave about slipping my right arm behind my back. It doesn't hurt to reach behind with it really. I just need some reassurance that the joint is settled in with enough tissue ingrowth that it will not dislocate. I was cleaning out a closet the other day and was sitting on the floor. I just had to use my right arm to get up and amazingly, it did not fall off or collapse when I put quite a bit of weight on it..

I honestly think I have been too cautious. I read too much on the Internet about all the things that can go wrong. Most of the warnings have come from the Internet, my doctor has not had a lot to say about do's and don'ts. The physical therapist was very careful in her admonitions of what I could not
do and I have largely followed her lead. Would I have done just as well, or better!, if I had thrown caution to the wind? Of course there was some restriction due to pain or just plain inability to move my arm in certain positions. But especially now, many restrictions are self imposed.

So I am ready to take some chances. It's been five months and I am ready to take charge. I am definitely able to raise and stretch and use my arm increasingly well. It's time to take it up a notch. Surely dressing without assistance is a reasonable goal.

By the way, I bought a really cute brown blouse today and it wasn't because I couldn't get it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment