Translate

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cleaning out the freezer..PO Day 161

I think we had the next to the last pre-rTSA frozen food for dinner tonight. I found four small frozen chicken pot pies that I prepared and froze way back before my surgery. They were wrapped in aluminum foil and hidden away in a small fridge- freezer that I don't use often. Cooking and freezing food before my surgery was a good move. It wasn't a lot of effort. In the month before surgery any time I was cooking I just made extra servings and froze them.

Frozen entrees like the ones made by Stouffers are pretty good and not at all expensive. In the first month or so after surgery they are a real "go to" when fast food has lost its allure and dining out is not  desirable yet. Grocery stores now offer several prepared foods that are more like homemade and are pretty convenient. If you are really lucky a family member or a neighbor or friend will supply a couple meals.

Tonight's discovery was part of "cleaning out the fridge." I don't really need to as we are having Thanksgiving dinner out but the habit is ingrained. The tradition is a big grocery shopping trip followed by a general fridge move-around to make room for the turkey, sides and desserts. This year I only have to make room for the desserts as we will reconvene here after dinner to talk and have dessert. Pumpkin pie is a must and chocolate  cake would be a hit with any and everyone. I'm leaning toward key lime pie instead of pecan pie. And maybe some lemon curd cupcakes. Sounds good.

The cloth for the dessert table is finished. I saw it in a magazine and just loved everything about it but the price. Shocking! It is a fitted burlap cloth with three tiers of ruffles. Kind of looks like a burlap prom dress. Is that an oxymoron? The burlap is coarse to handle and does not drape well but the color and texture are thanksgiving appropriate. Loaded up with desserts, plates, flatware and napkins  the structural flaws would not be apparent to a man on a galloping horse, a standard for home made projects my friend's mother in law found amusing.

I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about family and food. There is no gift-giving pressure, church services are strictly optional, and post dinner naps are not considered rude. And we are reminded to be grateful for all the things we tend to take for granted the rest of the year.

I am particularly grateful for a right arm that hurts less than it used to and works better than it used to. It's not perfect but it's the one I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment