Translate

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Pneumonia vaccine...PODay 147

Have you had the pneumonia shot, properly called pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine? Apparently the medical industry thinks it is worthwhile, even life saving. On the fast paced morning that I was being discharged from the hospital two days after my shoulder replacement surgery, the joint replacement coordinator came in my room. She asked me if I had had the pneumonia shot. When I  said no, just had not gotten around to it, she disappeared, returning moments later with all the necessary equipment. She really did ask if it was okay to give it to me, but under the circumstances I can't imagine how I could have said no. I was pretty ambivalent about it but now, having read the informational flyer that came home with me, I am so glad she was the "don't take no for an answer" type that she was.

Yes, it's true. I am just now weeding through the reams of paperwork that I accumulated in my two hospitalizations in June.

Back to the subject: Pneumococcal disease is caused by streptococcus pneumoniae. It is the leading cause of vaccine preventable illness and death in the US. People over 65, the very young, people with certain health issues, people with weakened immune systems, and smokers are at greater risk. Pneumococcal disease can lead to pneumonia, bacteremia and meningitis. Pneumococcal pneumonia kills about one out of every twenty people who get it. Bacteremia kills about one in five and meningitis causes death in about three in ten who are afflicted.

It used to be that treatment with penicillin and other drugs was effective but some strains of the disease have become resistant to those drugs. That makes it even more important to be protected.

The vaccine (called PPSV which is easier to say) protects against 23 types of pneumonia bacteria, those most likely to cause serious disease.

Who should get the vaccine? People over 65, anyone age 2 to 65 with long term health problems or with a disease or condition that lowers the body's resistance to infection, anyone 2 to 65 who is taking long term steroids, certain cancer drugs or radiation therapy and anyone who is a smoker.

Disclaimer:
Generally one shot is all that is needed but sometimes a second is advised. Ask your doctor. Some
people with certain severe allergies should NOT get the vaccine. Again, talk to your doctor. And it is best to be vaccinated before becoming pregnant. Some people have mild side effects to the shot, redness or pain.  Less than 1% develop a fever, muscle aches or more serious local reactions. The risk of a serious reaction is extremely small but does exist.

Having said all that negative, scary stuff, I'm glad I got the vaccine. Just one less thing to worry about in life.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRgHol94Xc&sns=em


Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, Octobe








2 comments:

  1. To Ardhanarishwara, the blissfully turing one who resides in the third eye plexus (Ajna Chakra) of each aspirant and who denotes the union of my Param Gurudeva Bhagwan Shiva and my Param Gurudevi Maa Shakti, are offered these salutions, prior this little student continues any further with the text, For more info visit: transmigration of soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,HE SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE I USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS AND NOW I AM TOTALLY CURED FROM HERPES, LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN, CONTACT HIM VIA EMAIL______________________
    Robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com,

    ReplyDelete