Translate

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Taking MY SST...P O Day 151

Back in October, P O Day 132 , I created my own SST, Simple Shoulder Test because the standard SST must have been written for a retired professional baseball player. "Throw a ball overhand, throw a ball underhand, carry a 20 lb weight by your side with the involved arm, lift a gallon of water to head height without bending your elbow!" I couldn't do those things with my good arm. My needs are more prosaic. So I created my list of things I wished I could do but could not. Now I really get the point of the SST! It is so rewarding to look at the test and realize the progress I have made in the last three weeks. THREE WEEKS!

I can now do eight of the twelve tasks on the list. I admit my ice cream scooping is a bit creative but I can get it done. I can't sleep on my operated shoulder all night but I can shift from left to right occasionally which makes sleeping much easier. I lifted down that really heavy pot all by myself and with a good bit of grunting and groaning I can shift the sofas for cleaning behind and under them.  I put on a lovely Amber necklace yesterday with no trouble and I managed to clean up some of those wayward ice cubes.

I don't think I will ever even try hooking a bra behind my back...too risky. My bicycle and the kayaks are going to have to wait a while, at least until I see the doctor again in December. So far I am still able to come up with something to say. I'm not sure how great an achievement that is. But it does keep me entertained.

So the SST has really helped me see the progress I have made in a very short period of time. I think putting your goals down on paper, or on a computer screen, and seeing them realized is empowering and encouraging. As much as I obsess about my situation I was totally unaware of the strides I was making.

I am ready to take on the next challenge!



Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October - getting back to normal, November - almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment