Translate

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Am I a barometer?...PO Day 160

My arm, my shoulder, the operated one that has done so well and only hurts where the deltoid muscle is connected to the bone...that one... Hurts! It has been sore and aching ever since it turned cold!

I'm embarrassed to complain about the weather. The rest of the country is suffering with record low temperatures, record high snow fall, and record bad weather in general. Here in the southeast we have had what we call a coldsnap, a brief few days of unseasonably chilly days and nights. I actually had to wear a jacket when I walked yesterday morning! But that is when my arm began hurting. Could it be true? Does climate change affect out joints?

According to research by Dr. David Borenstein, rheumatologist and professor at George Washington University, patients can actually predict rain before it occurs. According to Dr. Borenstein it is not the wind, rain, cold nor snow. It is the barometric pressure. Pressure presses on the tissue around the joints and prevents the joint from swelling. When weather turns inclement the barometric pressure falls and that allows the joint to swell which makes it hurt. While this is scientifically unproven, it is pretty well accepted as fact.

The idea persists that moving to a warm climate will improve many aches and pains. People often go to Florida or Arizona and report they feel much better. Dr. Borenstein's explanation is simple... When you visit an area you are on vacation, possibly staying in a nice hotel dining out, relaxing and enjoying yourself. Of course you will feel better and it has little to do with the weather!

All I know is that my shoulder that never hurts is hurting. I would rather attribute it to the weather than the fact that I worked in the yard, spent four days sewing a ruffled tablecloth for the Thanksgiving dessert table and have started sleeping at least part of the night on that side!



http://youtu.be/QCG3kJtQBKo

No comments:

Post a Comment