Translate

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Surgery Tips & Tricks...PO Day 139

Either of these links should work...warning: graphic surgical videos, not for the faint of heart.


http://icjr.net/article_34_live_surgery.htm#.VEULraKCOrU


http://icjr.net/article_34_live_surgery.htm#.VEUNnk_CHtU.email 


From the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction comes this video presentation of several joint surgeries, two of which are rTSA and one TSA.

"Watching live surgeries performed by experienced orthopaedic surgeons is a time-honored means of learning about the newest techniques, the latest refinements in procedures, and the tips and tricks the experts use." 

This is easier to watch after the fact. I'm not sure how much I would have enjoyed seeing this with surgery in my future rather than in the past. Seeing the video does answer one nagging question I have had...why were my fingernails orange after surgery? I didn't notice it at first, probably for a couple weeks even, as I was kind of overwhelmed with serious complications. But as I began to recover there came a day when I looked at my right hand and thought, "why are the cuticles of my fingernails orange," and "why do my fingernails look like I have been eating too many carrots."

At first I thought I had stained my fingers with some household product. I did finally decide it had to 
be a leftover souvenir from surgery but was amazed it took me so long to notice it. Still, there is faint evidence of something amiss, the nails have fine lines from nailbed to tip that didn't used to be there and aren't on the left hand. Well, maybe less so on the left hand. I think the striation is common as we get older. Perhaps the Orange just made it more apparent. Also the nails on my right hand have been much more brittle. 

So I don't believe the patients featured in these surgery videos have been spending too much time in the tanning booth, nor using cheap self tanning products. They and I were awash in an iodine or betadine pre surgery scrub. It must clean off of the skin pretty easily but leaves its telltale tinge on the nails. The only solution for the recovering patient is to buy a vintage bottle of Tampico Tangerine nail polish on eBay.

Also, if you do watch the videos and pick up any surgical pearls, I would be a little circumspect in trying to tell my surgeon how to do the procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHx0UwMHLc&sns=em


Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, 
August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October - getting back to normal. November...


No comments:

Post a Comment