Translate

Friday, November 28, 2014

Equal Tiime...P O Day 166

Well, now that I've started down memory lane I have to give equal time to Dear Son.

His job has taken him away from home and family for the first time since he went away to college. 
Oh sure, he has been on business trips, stuff like that, but now he has taken a permanent transfer and he has gone ahead alone to find a house and get settled before his family joins him when the school semester ends. So we were talking this morning and reminiscing about his first thanksgiving away from home when he was in college.

He collected a contingent of other "lost boys" and a few girls who couldn't go home for the holiday. His over ambitious plan was to cook a turkey. Now I was not a modern mother. For whatever reason, good or bad, I did not teach my son to cook. He was the child who would stand in front of a full refrigerator and announce "there is nothing in this house to eat!" I knew when I was defeated.

But he embraced the idea of cooking for his new friends, even a new girlfriend who became a wife. (I bet she saw the turkey project as a sign he would be a help in the kitchen later on...boy, was that wrong!) Anyway, there were a few consulting phone calls the day before...how to defrost it, what kind of pan to use, things like that. But things got serious Thanksgiving morning and the phone calls became more frequent and a little more urgent. By noon I was answering the phone "Turkey Hot Line." And this was before caller ID.

I asked him this morning how that particular first Thanksgiving turkey turned out. True or not, he remembers it as the best turkey he has ever had. And I look back at those phone calls as one of the last times he really needed and sought  my advice. I'm just awfully glad things turned out so well.

We did a good job.


No comments:

Post a Comment