Translate

Friday, November 7, 2014

Early warning system...PODay 145

It's too bad that my pneumothorax (collasped lung) was not discovered right away, before I was discharged from the hospital soon after my shoulder surgery. There were hints that I would now recognize, having experienced it. I mentioned before, every time the oximeter was used to check my O2 level the tech would tell me it was low and that I should breathe deeper. I would take a couple deep breaths and the number would come up. Also, my temperature was low and my pulse was fast. But no one put it all together and I didn't know.   As it was I went home, things got worse, I didn't complain and it was ten days post op before the problem was discovered.

St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Michigan is working to create an early warning system to recognize problems before they escalate to become emergencies. They have created a patient early warning system. A monitor is worn on the patient's wrist to constantly track vital signs monitoring their blood pressure, respiration rate, pulse, oximetry and temperature. The data is linked to the patient's electronic health record. Monitors track the numbers and rank the patient from 0 to 5. Up to 2.9 is good, 3.0 or higher places one in the danger zone and alerts the nurses that the patient needs to be checked out.

The hospital's mortality rate has fallen 35% since the system was put in place four years ago.

It is too easy to overlook small indicators of a potential problem. An impartial system that rates the patient and alerts the nurse to some irregularities is a great idea and obviously works. Yes, people have the ability to recognize and report problems but their "good judgment" can get in the way. Who likes a problem patient! Sometimes an impartial computer program does turn out to be better. Until this idea catches on you are going to have to be your own advocat. Pay attention and speak up. I should have.

This is a great idea and all hospitals should implement it.





Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, Octobe

1 comment:

  1. To Ardhanarishwara, the blissfully turing one who resides in the third eye plexus (Ajna Chakra) of each aspirant and who denotes the union of my Param Gurudeva Bhagwan Shiva and my Param Gurudevi Maa Shakti, are offered these salutions, prior this little student continues any further with the text, For more info visit: transmigration of soul

    ReplyDelete