Translate

Monday, November 24, 2014

There's a way...PO Day 162

There's that saying, "where there's  will, there's a way."

If you're going to mess around with burlap, you've got to be able to run a vacuum cleaner! You can walk past a piece of burlap and suddenly your socks will be costed with fuzz and threads. If you dare to take a pair of scissors to a piece of burlap long strings of hemp fiber will mysteriously show up in your lingerie drawer. If you are asthmatic a burlap project will likely land you in the emergency room, lungs filled with burlap lint.

The dessert table tablecloth project has proven a challenge. There are two household tasks that I still struggle with; one is putting clean sheets on the bed and the other is vacuuming. Pushing and pulling the vacuum cleaner with the operated shoulder/arm is just impossible and trying to do it with the other, the left arm,  I have  no control.

But a floor covered with burlap debris, no matter how cute the tablecloth, is unacceptable a few days before Thanksgiving. I tried picking up the individual threads by hand but that was an unending job. I glared at the old Hoover like a cowboy checking out an unbroken stallion. Who was going to get the better of the other? With my right hand I grasped the handle like the pommel on a saddle. My left arm was dramatically arced in mid air holding the cord as if it were reins. The toe of my boot was poised over the power switch ready to goad the beast into action. One quick nudge and he sprang to life. He lunged right when I wanted to go left and forged straight ahead when I tried to turn left. Just as I was about to despair, my left hand reflexively grabbed for the handle. Suddenly I had control. The strong left hand pushed and pulled and the weaker but coordinated right hand steered. The powerful creature was subdued at last. And I was victorious.

In other words, if you're having trouble running the vacuum cleaner, try using both hands. I don't know why it has taken me so long to figure this out.





No comments:

Post a Comment