Translate

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Whose Shoes?,,,PO Day 363

The shoes I was wearing when I fell and broke my shoulder (that started this whole journey) were at least partially to blame for the fall. We had been at the beach and I wore loose slip on rubber slides that had a tendency to catch on the ground. Needless to say I don't wear those shoes anymore. In fact I am very careful about what shoes I do wear.

Having fallen I am very worried about falling again. Rubber soles sounds like a good idea but sometimes they tend to grab the floor and make me stumble. Ditto shoes with thick soles. But slick leather soles can be slippery. Sandals have to fit tightly or they are a hazard. High heels are definitely out.

High heels look so nice on the foot and tighten the calf muscle to make any leg look better. I'm not short but it's easy to understand why short women like high heels. But boy, modern heels are sky high heels. I can't wer them now but probably wouldn't anyway.

A University of Alabama research study found that accidents due to high heels had doubled between 2002 and 2012. There were 123,135 high heel incidents of which 3294 required an ER trip. And that's just what was reported. I bet most injuries of this ilk don't get reported.

Sprained ankles and feet were the most comon injury but 19% broke a bone.  There were also some other injuries like head bumps associated with the falls. Bunions and other toe problems related to feet and shoes are too numerous to count.

But my balance has been off since falling.. Wearing a sling restricted the natural balance of the hurt arm. As long as i wore a sling I did not feel comfortable walking. The natural rhyhm of walking no longer existed. Now as i have healed things are better. But I still walk like a duck, am as nervous as a cat, and pick my steps like a tiger on the prowl. I'm a regular United Nations!

No comments:

Post a Comment