Translate

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Epiphany,,,P O Day 349

I wish I knew what epiphany befell me that I have been so inspired to get things accomplished. If I could save it so that when I fell back into my usual state of procrastination I could consume it like a drug it would be wonderful. Is it just that I looked around one day and realized I would not live forever? Did I fear someone else would have to sort out my clutter drawer? Why didn't it occur to me before that if I didn't use that lovely bedspreaed it would likely end up in a garage sale some day?

My mother was not a hoarder at all. If she didn't wear an article of clothing over a period of three months it disappeared. She was not sentimental about old stuffed animals, favorite books or bits of lace left over from a project long fogotten. There must be a gene that condemns  you to the saver or tosser category in life. If so, I didn't inherit hers.

One thing that has happened to encourage purging clutter is the opening of a small church sponsered thrift shop in our little town. I always have a bag of donations in the car now. Somehow I can give something away when I find it impossible to thow it away. I just have to follow my rule that I must not come away with more than I donate.


I am not yet to the state to which I aspire. Thimgs here will never have that post modern, glossy magazine look. Remember the English country garden style? Layers of floral prints upon plaids accented by stripes, tables of mini collections protected from dust by antique glass dome. secretary desks spilling over with memorabilia from  foreign travel, one strategically placed leopard fabric pillow on the sofa? No, that is not our home but that is the design school against which I struggle  constantly.

Laura Ashley...it's all her fault!

No comments:

Post a Comment