Translate

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Did anyone notice? PO Day 367

I did miss a couple days and did not count those missed days when adding up the post op days. But we are now at a minimum 367 days since surgery.

I can't say it feels like a year since surgery and yet in a way it feels longer than a year. Maybe it feels  like forever. i've had a great result. I have pretty much normal range of motion and normal function. It hurts some to put my arm behind my back and the doctor says just don't do it. I can livewithout that   motion.

There are frequent little twinges, reminders to be careful, which I heed. I take an occasional asprin for arthritis like pain in the opposite arm. It does make the post op arm feel better, actually everything feels better but don't want to be in the habit of taking anything.

I have not been walking with any regularity since Christmas. Right now it is too hot and will stay like that for several months now. My friend with whom I walk has been out of the loop since Christmas and I have not walked alone.

Running the vacuum cleaber used to be very difficult. I just couldn't do the push pull motion.I am good with vinyl floors etc. A few days ago I used the vacuum cleaner  and had no touble.I can stretch and reach across and behind things pretty well now. I'm quite certain my operated shoulder arm is not as strong as my left arn. But I can pick up and pour from a ten galllon bottle or spray bottle for the windows. Stretching those odd postions to wipe the floor behind the the toilet can be done.  But I can put dishes  away in the cupboards on higher shelves.

Putting on a jacket remains the most difficult action I perform. I just can't figure out the best way to do it. Well, actually I can get it on, it's just difficult and I'd rather not struggle unless i have to. I am hoping that problem resolves  itself during the summer.

Of course you think I do not sleep well but the fact is I  like waking up at 2:30 AM and playing conputer for a while and then going back to sleep. The house is quiet and dark and my thoughts are not interrupted by life's usual little details. Only problem...my typing is littered with errors. I misspell everythng and my words quickly dissolve into gibberish if I am too sleepy.

I have strength and power to do what a want. I have the perfect excuse to not do the things I wish to avoid. For me, having the surgery was defiinitely the right thing to do. I was so handicapped before. The pseudoparalysis (not able to lift or raise the arm) was very limiting. And the constant pain just
defeated me. I was a good candidate due to age. level of activity, and desire to be cooperative. I've had a good support systen from la belle fille (step daughter) who came and stayed post op and dear husband who has had to fill in a lot of gaps in my normal level of activiity. I hope anyone else who is considerding reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty will line up help beforehand.

So I am off to sleep again. I hpe there are not too many errors and typos here. It's rumbling and grumbling outside  and raining off and on but not storming. No lightning tonight. Actually, good weather for sleeping. Goodnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment