Translate

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Focus on the positive...PO Day372

To be fair one always has to balance the good points of aomething by mentioning the negative points. But right now I don't want to be fair. I just want to say positive things about rTSA because I personally have not experienced anything bad. I realize things could happen in the future but right now everything is wonderful.

How could I not love the surgery?  It has given me such tremendous reflief from the constant pain I had post shoulder break. My first orthopod sent me (to his facility) for three months of physical therapy. I did my exercises at home. He said with time it would get better. It got worse.    When I was at my wit's end I found my new orthopod who said it was not going to improve. He didn't push for surgery but did say surgery was the only option for possible pain reflief and better function.

Now to the point:

Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty gives a much more stable shoulder joint that can function pretty nearly nornally when the patient does not have an intact rotator cuff.  This is because the surgery creates a deeper socket that prevents the ball from sliding up and down. The force of motion is pushing the ball and joint together rathen than apart. The deltoid muscle takes over and is used to raise and lower the arm. The result is an arm that functions better, is less painful and can last for years without loosening, as happens with regular shoulder arthroplasty.


 Now the patient has to do their part.  Very little use of the arm during the first six weeks post procedure.  Gentle use until the doctor says you have reached optimum healing and strength.  Avoid ]]]reepeated forceful blows. Do NOT fall! It's natural to put your arm out to catch yourself. Not a good move. 

Here's wishing everyone who is considering this surgery has as good a result as I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment