Translate

Friday, June 5, 2015

Who's a candidate...PO Day 347

I thought the statement below, copied from the Web, covered the question of who was a candidate for rRSA surgery vey well. It is most commonly used for patients with serious arthritic problems. And, according to my surgeon, those people do the best. I fall into the last category, patietnts with proximal humeral fractures with massive cuff tear.  

I harbored some resentment toward my first orthopedic doctor who did nothing for a year and did not investigate with CT or MRI. But my current orthopod assured me he, too, would have waited to see what would happen. Having rTSA is a big step and should only be considered when other alternatives have been tried. such as physical therapy.  And tincture of time.

In fact, to be fair, I have to admit that my first orthopod did mention surgery once. Not that he was recommending it. Rather I think he threw it into the discussion to be medically-legally protected in that he had offered me the option to consider it. Maybe he really did think I was going to improve without surgical intervention. All I can say is that I am very glad that I wound up where I did.

"In the reverse total shoulder, the positions of the ball and socket are reversed from the anatomical arrangement. This type of prosthesis is used when the arthritic shoulder demonstrates instability that cannot be managed with an anatomic prosthesis or when the shoulder is ‘pseudoparalytic’, meaning that the shoulder cannot be actively elevated to 90 degrees in spite of a good range of passive motion and intact deltoid function. Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty is used to manage rotator cuff tear arthropathy and anterosuperior escape after a failed attempt at rotator cuff repair. The reverse arthroplasty is also used to manage comminuted proximal humeral fractures in the osteopenic bone of older individuals, massive cuff tears without arthritis and failed anatomic arthroplasty with instability or pseudoparalysis."

I just have to add this bit of updated blog news. As said, it's an ill wind that blows no good to someone. The accidental change to Lithuanian has solved a major headache for me! All those "0"s that had replaced the writtten directions on my blog are gone and regular print has reappeared. Of course I don't read Lithuanian but I can get the program to translate it to English for me. In case you ever need to know, English is Angly in Lithuanian. Things are looking up. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment