Translate

Sunday, August 31, 2014

August Addendum...PO Day 76

I have left several little things hanging so here is a little list to catch up on what I've overlooked or omitted:

I do still have some pain in my operated arm. I'm going with the opinion that it is secondary to the recent, more vigorous physical therapy. I see the surgeon in about ten days when he will do another X-ray. That will alleviate any doubts I might still have about the source of the recent discomfort.

I continue to massage the scar and cover it with Kinesio tape. The tape protects the scar from sun exposure which is a good thing. Also it disguises the half that is exposed to public view when I wear a sleeveless top. But mostly, I do believe that wearing the tape has had a positive affect on the way my scar looks.

I have increased my "walking for exercise" to two miles and try to do it daily now. I go at 7:00 AM as it is just too hot later.

I am busily converting bras from back hooks to front closure. The clips I ordered from Canada work great. With a little experience, it now takes me about fifteen to twenty minutes to make the switch. It is so worth the cost and time. Being able to dress oneself is crucial to one's independence.

I am recovering from the pneumothorax (collapsed lung) that was secondary to nerve block done at the time of my surgery. I'm not 100% but getting there. I've noticed that I have turned into a bit of a mouth breather, especially with exercise, and I can easily become slightly breathless with activity. But I am much improved. From my checking with Dr. Google and from what friends have told me, it can take a year to fully bounce back. I think I am doing well. I see the pulmunologist again in January.

I'm still taking a big dose of iron supplement daily. This was prescribed due to anemia secondary to blood loss at surgery. Iron creates its own set of problems but I guess the good outweighs the bad. I will have some blood work in October so will learn then if things are back in the normal range and I can stop the supplements. For now I am happy to blame general laziness on "Iron poor blood."

I have packed up my three slings and put them away. I wouldn't dare get rid of them. That would guaranty a new need for a sling! Can't have that.

I still operate under several restrictions. Don't move your arm behind your back (adduction, extension, internal rotation). Don't pick up anything heavier than your purse ( per surgeon last visit). Don't put your weight on that arm, like getting into bed or rising from a soft sofa). Don't pull or push with great force. Don't make hard, forceful motions, like hammering.

I think that pretty much says where I am. Getting better, feeling better, still have a way to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment