Translate

Monday, September 1, 2014

Handicapped parking permit..PODay 77


It's amazing how quickly we can be spoiled. When I couldn't drive, my chauffeur (dear Husband) would drop me off at the door of the grocery store, big box store, or medical building. I cannot claim any foot or leg limitations but, especially when I was still wearing the sling, my walking has not been as fluid as usual.

But I am better. I can drive again. And, in keeping with the household rule of one sickie at a time, Dear.Husband has hurt his foot and is having a time walking. So now I am dropping him off at the 'door of the grocery store, big box store or medical office building.'  He actually does have a problem walking!

So, on a recent trip to the nearest discount store, I was cruising the lanes looking for a parking place. Desirable spaces are rated by 1. Proximity to the building, 2.  Extra width because adjacent cars are mini coopers, and 3. A dapple of shade (asphalt parking lot temps can be well over 100 degrees here in the summer). It was crowded. As I drove past a slew of vacant "Disabled Person Parking Permit" spaces, I began to ponder  the process and requirements to have such a valuable driving accessory.

Rules vary by state. In my state there are seven possible reasons to qualify for a permit.

1. Inability to walk without the assistance of a cane, crutch, brace, prosthetic device or other assistive device and such device does not significantly restore the person's ability to walk such that they are not severely limited.

2. The need for a wheelchair.

3. Lung disease that significantly restricts the person's breathing function.

4. The use of portable oxygen.

5. Cardiac condition that results in functional limitations as defined by the American heart association.

6. Severe walking limitation due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic conditions.

7. And Legally blind.  (This one seems really odd to me.)

One acquires Form HSMV 83039 and takes it to their physician, podiatrist, chiropractor, optometrist (for sight reasons only), nurse practitioner or physician assistant for completion. Once filled out, it goes to the local tax collector's office where you buy your license tags. There is no fee for a permanent permit, there is a $15.00 fee for a temporary 6 month permit. You are then given a hanging tag to suspend from your rear view mirror to identify your parked car as properly registered and legal to use the disabled persons spaces.

A couple important things to mention: a hurty shoulder, even post rTSA, does NOT qualify a person for a disabled person parking permit and  illegally parking in a disabled persons parking space carries a fine of $250.00 and makes you a really inconsiderate person to boot.

Obviously there are a lot of the latter type around. This link below popped up as I was looking for the form online. The fake tags are cheap but the penalty for using one is costly, in money and self image. I'd rather walk a ways.









                               Shop for fake handicap parking permit on Google

No comments:

Post a Comment