Translate

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Progress Report..PO Day 57

I have started over on this post three times. It seems like my brain wants to go to what I still CANNOT do and not to what I CAN do. How do I have full disclosure and not sound so whiny?

So, in an extreme effort to restrain the natural desire for sympathy, I will try again. I don't think I have ever said my operated shoulder is on the right and I am right handed.

So here goes:

I can drive! I feel like a 16 year old who just got their license.
I can eat with a fork. Getting a spoon of liquid to my lips is still awkward but doable.
I can cook but I let the mixer or food processor do the hard stuff.
I can wash dishes, although pots and pans could use a good scrubbing.
I can do light housework but need help with vacuuming and bed making. Sheets defeat me!
I can wash my face with two hands now and comb the front of my hair, not the top or back yet.
I can push but not pull, things like doors and drawers.
I can reach for a light switch, a toilet handle, the microwave control panel and the cream in the fridge, but not all at once. :)
I can get dressed but sometimes get stuck undressing, especially button up shirts.
I can walk for exercise again. Until recently it made my shoulder ache.
I can file and paint my finger nails but not my toenails yet.
I can apply a little eyeliner and mascara again! Trying with my left hand was disastrous.
I can reposition a small pillow in the middle of the night, a major accomplishment!
I can steady myself with my right hand gently but would not want to wobble much.
I can lift a glass of water to my lips.
I can write, almost legibly.

This begs for that old joke...sounds like Henny Youngman.

"Doctor, will I be able to play the violin after the surgery?" the patient with the broken arm asks.

The doctor, smiling reassuredly, "sure, I don't see why not."

The patient says, "Great because I've never been able to play before."



4 comments:

  1. So curious. How do you remember not to do certain things? I would be terrified that I would just instinctively reach/move/act in a contraindicated manner without thinking. Or, are you just very "conscious" and "in the moment" about every single thing you do as you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly wearing the sling 24/7 trains you not to use your arm. The only hard thing to remember is not to allow your elbow (followed by the upper arm) to drift backwards. I keep a pillow or rolled up blanket everywhere I sit to support my arm and keep it forward of my torso. But yes, I think I am always "in the moment." As evidenced by my loquacious blog!

      Delete
  2. Are you still in the sling 24/7 even now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing the sling 24/7 is for the first six weeks. No sling after that unless you are in a big crowd or something.

    ReplyDelete