Translate

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Complications or Coincidence? PO Day 59

I thought a pneumothorax was just about the worst complication from shoulder surgery I could experience. Anemia was a less dramatic development but has had to be dealt with.  Two months post op I thought I was finally in the clear.

But some mysterious symptoms have begun to arise that I can no longer ignore.

I have no desire to go shopping! Macy's Big Weekend Coupon Sale has no allure for me. I took some things to the neighborhood thrift shop and did not even go inside to look around. I did stop at a garage sale last weekend, more out of habit than desire. I bought Dear Husband a book for 25 cents but nothing for myself. The mark-down shelves at TJMaxx do not entice me to make the seven mile drive to the store. Did the anesthesia convert the need for retail therapy to physical therapy?

In the eternal battle over the thermostat I was always too hot and Dear Husband was always too cold. I don't see how I can claim my surgery has affected his internal thermometer. It has to be me. I now carry a jacket with me everywhere I go and snuggle under a thick terry cloth robe to watch TV. For goodness sake, it's August in the South! That means 90 degrees and 90% humidity, slightly less indoors huddled around the air conditioner. What is going on?

But most alarming, I am shorter! I've been noticing that reaching an oft used bowl on the third kitchen shelf required a little toe lift for the last couple weeks. And I have been avoiding hanging up clothes that go on the upper rack in the closet. A long reach used to be sufficient to hook the hangar over the bar. Now I have to step up onto a little stool. How did that happen? Dr. Kai did warn me that my operated arm might be a little longer after surgery. Did he borrow an inch from my torso?

This is very mysterious. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment