Translate

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Little Things Mean A Lot...PO Day 54

I don't know why it has taken me so long to learn how important small gestures of kindness are, especially if you've been ill, but really, all the time.

Receiving a Get Well card in the mail brightened many days recently. It meant so much that someone was thinking of me and wishing me well. Fresh magazines to help while away hospital days were a blessing. A phone call from a friend way more seriously ill than I was humbling and helped put things in perspective. Flowers brought tears to my eyes.

Twice my surgeon has remarked that, when he got inside my shoulder, he could really see why I had so much pain. I could hug him! My primary care doctor said he had been worried about me. A friend has twice admired my functional, but really short hair cut. I know it looks awful but it has been all I could deal with.

A neighbor whom I like but hardly ever see brought the best apple tarts and stayed to visit a short time. Food always gets my approval. Another neighbor offered chauffeur service if needed and I know how busy she already is. Several friends wanted to know what they could do to help. It's not that I need the help, but so nice to have the offer. I am banking all those promises.

While all the hospital staff were great, a few stand out as exemplary. The respiratory therapist was always chipper and a ray of sunshine. The food service man who came to take my meal order acted like he was a waiter in a four star restaurant. There were a couple nurses who dressed or undressed me with the tenderness of a mother for her two year old.  They were all "just doing their jobs" but with such grace and kindness.

I've tried to thank the most salient of the many but I think I am just going to have to "pay it forward." I hope I can hold on to the emotion of the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment