Translate

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Hip or Hype? PO Day 47

Have you been seeing athletes with colorful bands of tape here and there? The first time I saw it was on Misty May and Keri Walsh, the great volley ball team. The tape is part of the kinesiology theory of treating various aches, pains and injuries sustained by athletes and even ordinary people. I am a bit of a skeptic as it purports to heal everything from carpal tunnel syndrome to rotator cuff injury. But one of my therapists applied a strip of the tape to my scar the other day and I thought it had a good effect.

The scar had become slightly elevated and was beginning to look kind of like a two lane highway with a divider down the middle. There were a couple puckers, probably from stitches. She first massaged the scar, then applied the tape. She said to leave the tape in place 24 hours, then replace it with a new piece.

I think it made a difference! After two days the scar had flattened out and looked less puckery. So I have ordered some.  I opted for the beige, no pink or blue or green. The added benefit is that it covers the scar and protects it from sun exposure. It's not expensive so I thought it was worth a try.

Maybe now I can pass off a klutzy accident as some cool sports injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment