Translate

Sunday, July 6, 2014

What kind of a joint is this?

I forgot to tell you about the TOTAL SHOULDER JOINT REPLACEMENT PATIENT AND FAMILY EDUCATION PROGRAM offered by my hospital. This is really an addition to the long standing HIP And KNEE program which is much more popular. It is run by the Rehabilitation Services Department, presented by an RN and a physical therapist with a power point program. Lots of fluff but also lots of good information. Of the 25+ participants I was the only shoulder patient... made me feel a little anxious. Many of the patients were repeats so even they had good advice to share. We could ask all kinds of personalized questions.

A big deal is made about scrubbing down with Hibiclens the night before surgery and again the morning of. This is to prevent infection, of course. I was diligent Monday night before surgery, practically scrubbed my skin raw! Then, as I stepped out of the shower and grabbed my four day old bacteria-ridden towel to dry off, I realized a vital step had been omitted. USE A FRESHLY LAUNDERED TOWEL if you don't live in a hotel with fresh towels daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment