Translate

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Surgery Day + 3, 4, and 5

I came home Thursday morning following surgery on Tuesday. I was really ready but not prepared for the fast track out of the hospital! The orthopedic coordinator came in about 11:00AM and asked me if I wanted to go home. Yes! She talked to my surgeon, changed the dressing on my incision (it did not look so long nor so scary), arranged for a pneumonia vaccine (I had never had one before), helped me get dressed and pack up my unused hospital wardrobe, printed out my exit papers and had me sitting in a wheel chair at the front door  waiting for my family, all within thirty minutes! I was breathless!

So good to be home! La Belle Fille ( remember, French for step daughter) has been amazing. She chauffeurs, cooks, does laundry, shops, and raises everyone's spirits. I did not think we would need help but boy, was I wrong. Thank heaven she insisted on coming to stay! I am quite weak and very breathless. The least activity makes me have to sit down and rest. I have discontinued the medication prescribed for post op pain as I wonder if I am having a bad reaction to it. Ibuprofen seems adequate to control my pain but it always does make me unable to sleep.  I called the surgeon's office and got an immediate call back from the office nurse. She is ordering hydrocodone 5/325 which has worked for me in the past. And I am going to start taking an iron supplement as I did lose a lot of blood at surgery and my hemoglobin is quite low.

On the fast track to feeling better.


No comments:

Post a Comment