Translate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day of surgery!

Coordinating who is where at what time for surgery has to be as complicated as planning the invasion of Europe in WWII. Of course the hospital gives you a time to show up for all that pre op stuff but does your family really need to be sitting in the "family waiting area" for hours before, during and after? One thing my hospital does is to assign you a secret code (number) that displays on an electronic board in the waiting area  along with the brief detail of where you are: pre-op, surgery, recovery or patient room. You can also use that number to request info by phone if you, the friend or relative, are not at the hospital. Great idea!

But I was given the number as I checked in and the race was on! I was  whisked into pre-op and asked to disrobe and put on the dreaded hospital gown. I grabbed my cell phone to call the triage system of notification. No signal in the depth of the surgery wing with all its electronics.

Now positioned on the Stryker bed with a friendly nurse putting an ID on one wrist and an IV in the other, I was trying to log my iPad mini in to the hospital network to send family emails. Yes, I agree, yes, I accept, oops here is my surgeon. We quickly agree which shoulder is being operated. Did you know a representative from the company that makes your prosthetic knee, hip or shoulder is present in the operating theater? They are not present to assist in the surgery. That would be illegal, remember the Law And Order episode? But they are in place to consult about the devices and offer suggestions if things don't snap together like Lincoln Logs. As Dr. Kai walked away the anesthesiologist, Dr. Magnifico, rolled up with his portable ultrasound machine. As I frantically typed my patient ID number into the email and zipped it off to all children, Dr. Magnifico explained I would receive both a nerve block and general anesthetic. The nerve block lasts 24 to 36 hours and numbs the shoulder during the immediate possibly painful post op period. The ultra sound helps him position the drug in just the right spot for greatest effectiveness. As the nurse slipped my ipad from my hands I slipped away.

My eyes fluttered open briefly and I had been magically transported to the surgery room. It was cold and brilliantly illuminated and white. Off to one side Dr. Kai and the prosthetic rep were rattling pieces of metal rod, presumably my new arm parts, and nurses moved in slow motion around my bed.

That's the last I remember until I managed to squeak out "HURTS" to a recovery room nurse bending over me. Briefly incredulous, she asked me if I could feel her touch my fingers. I certainly could! I heard someone say the nerve block did not work and someone else said dilaudid and I was instantly pain free and drifting back to sleep.

In spite of the failure of the nerve block, from that moment on the pain was not severe and managed very well with ordinary pain meds administered as often as I requested. It seems to me that the hospitals are very concerned with your pain level and mean to keep you as comfortable as possible.  In spite of the failure of the nerve block I was kept quite comfortable...if you don't count how uncomfortable hospital beds are.

No comments:

Post a Comment