Translate

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Many, Mini Steps - PO Day 36

After a month of drama and angst things seem to have settled down. Instead of giant leaps backward I am now taking baby steps forward.

The last of the steri-strips came off today. They were at least fifty percent of the itch factor. I don't think my skin likes tape adhesive. Every itch I scratch turns up a spot of adhesive residue that has not rubbed off in showering or lotioning up.

The hard knots in my forearms, reminders of IV lines, have absorbed finally. There is one lumpy vein that didn't use to be prominent but not sore nor hard.

The tender spot on rib cage under the right arm where the chest tube went in is barely noticeable. I may soon no longer have any excuse for not wearing the proper underclothes.

The little scabs that spotted my belly are gone. I don't think I mentioned it before...each day in the hospital a nurse gives you an injection to prevent blood clots. Where does the shot go? In that nice roll of belly fat right around your belly button. It's kind on nice to know that annoying bulge has a functional use. A good reason to pity those gorgeous flat tummied models.

I have created my online patient account through my hospital network. Now I and all my doctors have access to my medical records, lab results, and medications prescribed. Best thing is I can now see every doctor who took care of me in- hospital. Sometimes it is hard to keep track.

I've baked and distributed my "thank you" cookies. I still subscribe to the old fashioned tradition of taking food to your doctor. Especially in light of how poorly paid they are now due to cuts in Medicare. More on that subject later!

I've collected all the wonderful "thinking of you" and "get well" cards I received in the mail. Do I send a thank you note in the mail or is an email alright? I don't know, there is nothing like a real card in a brightly colored envelope nestled among the bills and junk mail to lift your spirits. Or is my thinking archaic, a sign of a passé generation?

What would Miss Manners say?



3 comments:

  1. You are sounding like your old self again! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you that you are feeling better. I vote for a group e-mail! :-)

    ReplyDelete