Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Surgery Day + 26 and 27

Things I wonder about:

Why is it so cold in the operating room?

Everyone always says it is to control germs. But a little Google research shows that it is, in fact, for the benefit of the doctors. They are bundled up in layers, masks and gloves. They are working hard, might be a little nervous and under some pressure. Who wants sweat dripping into the surgical site?

Many years ago as I was wheeled into an operating room I complained that I was cold. The scrub nurse brought me an old white sweater she kept in her locker! Not a lot of sterility there. Now you are covered with sterile blankets from a warming oven. At least until you are totally sedated. Very nice.

My recent hospital room had its own thermostat. That was great. The thin hospital gowns don't provide a lot of warmth. But they are very functional. If there was just some better closure in the back! In spite of not liking them, they were my garment of choice during my recent hospitalization, eschewing the cute pajamas I brought from home. Fortunately I was not up walking around much. When I attended the Joint Replacement  Seminar patients were encouraged to bring clothing from home since knee and hip patients are expected to be up walking the halls right away. A hospital gown flapping open in the back is not a good look.

We shoulder patients just lie on our backs and let our staff take care of us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment