Translate

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Surgery plus one month

It's a month since my shoulder surgery and it seems like a year. I don't see my surgeon again for two more weeks. Obviously, he is not the kind of cook who opens the oven door to peek at the cake every few minutes! I am anxious to see him because I was such a basket case when I last saw him, ten days post op. I am so much stronger now. I actually spent fifteen or twenty minutes pulling little weeds, left hand only, this morning. I could have worked longer but for the noseeums...a unique subtropical invisible insect that drives even the most hardy indoors. After years of semi drought conditions, we are experiencing daily deluges accompanied by lightning and thunder often. But everything is so green and lush and growing.

This sedentary existence is getting boring. I am still restricted to picking up nothing heavier than a  coffee cup with the op'd arm. Is that with or without coffee in it? Still wearing the sling 24/7 which is hot and cumbersome. Not allowed to drive yet. That's a nuisance as dear husband does not consider shopping as entertainment or sport or even a way to while away an afternoon. I probably don't have the stamina for a mall trip anyway.

Thank goodness Dear Daughter and grandson from California are coming next week. He is the only known witness to the broken arm accident that started this whole debacle. He and I were coming back from the beach, waiting to cross the street. A pick up truck stopped and waved us across. I didn't realize the sand apron was lower than the asphalt and just splayed across the road like a flattened fauna. I could tell there was something amiss from the position of my poor arm. What an inauspicious start to his summer vacation with the " grands." I bet he never forgets it! No firetrucks or ambulances were involved, thank goodness. With a little help we gathered ourselves up and made it home.

So that's my brief careless moment that led to this whole experience. Boy, am I more careful now!

1 comment:

  1. I know how frustrated you must be since you are normally so active, but pulling weeds?? :-) So nice that your daughter and grandson will be here next week. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete