Translate

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hair today - Gone tomorrow PO Day 42

My hair is really short, REALLY short. It started as an accident when I told the stylist  "let's make this really short." I meant quick, she heard Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby. But it's hot, I have been one handed and it was a blessing during my recent hospitalization. I didn't have to comb it, just rub a damp washcloth over my head. I was dealing with it.

But now I am faced with Telogen Effluvium.

For the last few days I've been noticing a few hairs in the sink in the morning. If I run my fingers through my hair there are more than desirable strands of hair in the palms of my hands.  Is it my imagination?

No. Telogen Effluvium is a phenomenon that occurs after pregnancy, surgery, extreme stress or drastic weight loss. Well, I've had two of the four. It starts as early as six weeks after the precipitating events. Nice to know I am right on schedule. The normal life cycle of the hair shaft is shortened so that natural shedding of old hair is speeded up. Apparently there is no cure but also no cause for panic. This too shall pass.

In the meantime not only might I pass for a guy, I might pass for a balding guy! Nice :(


No comments:

Post a Comment