Translate

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Dress for success...PO Day 78


Time to put away the white shoes and straw hats. But I never had a chance to get them out! Does that white shoe rule still stand? Definitely not in the south, but how about the rest of the country? There's always "winter white" and white denim jeans were big last year. Who doesn't love a white cashmere sweater? But shoes? I don't know. There's a scene in the movie Sleepless In Seattle where the  New York journalist character played by Meg Ryan jets off to Seattle, Washington to get a glimpse of the Tom Hank's character. It's between Christmas and Valentines' Day, definitely wintertime. And she's wearing white pumps! Now, we all know no self respecting New York girl has anything in her closet that isn't black! New York fashionistas paved the way for wearing black to weddings! Where did she find those shoes?

The recovering shoulder surgery patient, female for the sake of discussion, is definitely fashion challenged. I spent the summer wearing big, loose button up men's shirts, pull on bike shorts and Velcro strap ballet flats. About six weeks post op I was able to graduate to pull on t-shirts and regular bottoms as long as everything had a healthy dose of spandex built in. If it didn't stretch I would get stuck half in and half out. By now, eleven weeks post op, I could probably squeeze into most normal articles of clothing but that French spandex thing is so comfortable it is hard to give up. Pardonnez- moi.

The other problem is ironing. Even now, I cannot lift an iron. It's over my doctor imposed weight limit but I can't pick it up anyway, even if I were willing to cheat. I can tip the iron down and slide it across the flat front or back of a shirt but sleeves amd collars defeat me. I used to think Wrinkle Release worked fairly well. It doesn't. Laundry is still not back to normal.

Planning a post op wardrobe for a working woman would be a challenge. I really don't know how you would do it. I love a nice jacket and have several. But getting in and out of one, especially over a shirt, without help, would be impossible. A few days ago I showed my therapist my technique for removing a button up shirt. She didn't like it, thought it caused me to move my op'd arm too far behind my back, in spite of the fact I am trying to be very careful. I am back to getting dear husband to help me. Who could you get to help at the office?

Soon the season will change. I've mastered the pull-on t-shirt but I don't think I could manage long sleeves. I'm okay with Capri length stretch pants but I'm just not ready for leggings. I don't think I could pull them up! I tried a pair of panty hose recently. (Yes, I know, but I was trying to hide the veins and freckles). Half way up one leg, I gave up. I am able to put on and off socks, thank goodness. Winter is going to be a challenge.

The good thing is it will be nearly two months before our temps drop below 80 degrees. T-shirts and bike shorts will work for a while.







Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September....

No comments:

Post a Comment