Translate

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Physical Therapy at 12 weeks...PO Day 90

Tomorrow is the day I return to see my surgeon. It's my three month check up which turns out to be almost 13 weeks or 90 days. My last physical therapy session was two weeks ago. The facility has not heard back yet whether I will continue therapy or not. I assume Dr. Kai is waiting to discuss the subject with me.

I don't necessarily need more hands on therapy but I do need some guidance. In addition to the exercises of the first six weeks, I have more range of motion exercises and a couple strength building exercises. I feel like I really need the strength building exercises. Naturally, those are the very ones that seem to make my arm hurt the most. Can I increase ( from one pound to two pounds! ) the size weight I use for curls? Can I tote heavier burdens, an armload of laundry or a gallon of milk? And am I still restricted from using that arm as a support in bed or getting up from the sofa?

So here I am, a little more than 12 weeks post op. In addition to my assigned PT exercises at the six week period (see August: PO Day 51 for a list)  I am now doing the following:

ROM exercise: Supine flexion with wand, 2 sets of ten.

ROM exercise: standing flexion with wand, 1 set of ten.

ROM exercise: standing abduction with wand, in the diagonal plane, with wand, 1 set of ten.

ROM exercise: external / internal rotation with wand, 1 set of ten.

Strengthening: resisted external rotation with bands, 1 set of ten.

Strengthening: resisted internal rotation with bands, 2 sets of ten

If you google these, "supine flexion with wand" for instance, you will pull up photos showing the proper way to do each exercise.

Or try this link and search for each exercise:

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/strengtheningexercises/ss/Resistance-band-rotator-cuff-strength_2.htm

Again, I am only listing these to say what I am doing, NOT what you should do. Please consult your doctor or therapist for advice. Every situation is different.


No comments:

Post a Comment