Translate

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Slip sliding away...PO Day 100!

Fall starts today, September 23rd. Actually, I think it was ushered in late last night but this is the first full day.  I can't believe it. Where has the summer gone? Did surgery and recovery gobble up June, July and August or am I experiencing the perception of the rapid passage of time as one gets older? Is it like Einstein said in 1915 that massive objects cause a distortion in space-time? Surgery certainly is a massive object in one's life, distorting the heck out of your routine. Or maybe he meant black holes and red giants and bending light.  Do we ever get that lost time back? Can we reclaim those precious moments? Can we pass through a wormhole and go back in time? If we could I would rewind to the moment before I fell and shattered my humerus. I wouldn't mind skipping the past fourteen months.

If that's not an option, what else could I have done differently? Listened to my good friend and gotten a second opinion much sooner. Recognized I needed better sleeping conditions, perhaps moved a recliner into the bedroom instead of camping out in the living room for nine months. Asked for a cat scan or MRI when the injury first occurred. Complained more to my first doctor and less to friends and family. Not wasted time and money on physical therapy trying to improve a hopeless situation. Those are things that I had control over and, in hindsight, should have done. 

What did I do right? About the only good thing I can take credit for is finally getting fed up and asking my primary care doctor for an MRI and a referral to a new orthopod. Truth is, it wasn't me. It was Dear Husband who insisted I seek a new opinion. So, it looks as if I the one thing I did right was marry someone with more good sense than me who recognized I was not being taken seriously by my first orthopod. I ended up with a good orthopedic surgeon who knew how to help me. 

Now if there were just some way to stop life from slipping away. Any suggestions?
http://youtu.be/gnxEt2L6Oy4


Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September..








No comments:

Post a Comment