Translate

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Good report card...PO Day 92


                                                                         SELFIE

                                                                        9-15-14

I saw Dr Kai today and he dispelled all my fears. Before I said a word he knew where my arm hurt.
He says it comes from the surgical attaching of muscles to bone to create new methods of lifting the arm since the old ligaments are no longer functioning. Time and strengthening exercises will resolve that problem. Now that I know " the problem" there isn't one.

Continued formal physical therapy is up to me. He says just using my arm in every day life will be good therapy. If I add increasing weight barbells (from one pound to two to three) and do gentle curls I should gradually gain strength in the operated arm. Right now the pain I feel on lifting something heavier is normal and just a little warning sign to back off a bit.

What should I never do, I asked. Don't take up contact sports, he said. Probably I did not need that advice but I will keep it in mind when approached by the NFL.

I had to fill out a short questionnaire asking what I could and could not do. I suppose the information goes to some giant government computer to calculate whether or not the outcome is worth the time and money in older people. By the way, how did I get to be an older "people?"

We decided against more formal PT. I will continue my range of motion exercises and increase the strength building activities, formally and in real life. My therapist would be disappointed but, due to the recent changes in the therapy department, she has been transferred to another branch. Her absence plays a small role in my decision to not continue.

I don't return to see him again for three months. We'll be deep into winter by then. Let's hope I can manage those long sleeve t-shirts. Only 99 days until Christmas!



Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, August - recovery and physical therapy, September..

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are doing so well! I guess you can continue surfing? ��

    ReplyDelete