Translate

Friday, May 29, 2015

I did it!...PODay 343

Wow! This would not be what you or your doctor would like to see on an x-Ray. I copied this photo from a great resource on line. The article detailed possible "things that can go wrong."  According to the author,

"The risk of humeral fracture is increased in revision surgery, by falls and when the humeral component fixation results in an abrupt transition between a cemented or press fit diaphyseal stem tip and osteopenic bone distal to the prosthetic tip These fractures deserve a trial at closed management."

I believe what the author is saying is that when the surgeon goes back in a second time, revision surgery, the risk of fracturing the existing humerus is high. Also, a fall, as my surgeon has advised against :), can result in a break like this. And finally, an abrupt transition between the titanium shaft and the real bone is at risk if the bone shows osteopenic issues.

Obviously a fall is the easiest to understand and the most difficult to avoid. Since my initial injury was due to a fall I am absolutely paranoid about falling again. One day, feeling a little unsteady, I almost bought a walker at a garage sale! Me, a walker? Never! Unless it would save me from another disastrous fall. When I walk for exercise, as I have for several years now, I use two European style hiking poles. The good reason?  It increases the cardio- vascular workout and is good for toning your arms. The real reason? It adds stability which I am grateful for.

And if I encounter an angry raccoon I am armed!

No comments:

Post a Comment