Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2015

One track mind...PO Day 305

Yesterday was Dear Husband's birthday. I don't know how that justifies bailing on my blog but it's my only excuse. Any ripple in our quiet routine moves through the household like a Sunami crashing ashore a day or two later totally disrupting our lives. Combine our little trip. Saturday through Monday with the festive day yesterday and I am absolutely nackered.

Not that I had to do a thing. Les belles filles (Rhymes with belfry) arrived looking like the advance party for a catering company. They brought decorations, hardware like plates, cups and utensils, wine and beer, appetizers, hamburgers and hot dogs, enough produce for a salad bar, condiments,  potato salad and twice baked potatoes and a fabulous ice cream birthday cake. The only contribution I made was to occasionally tell one or the other where to find a pierced spoon or a tomato knife.

Gifts were appropriately of the disposable ilk, like gift cards to favorite eateries. He loved an original poem by a "significant other." The girls cleaned up and packed up and by six PM the party was over and we were cat napping in the quiet again living room. I'd guess it was his best ever birthday.

But all this makes me wonder, when did I acquire a one-track brain? I used to be the consummate multi-tasker. I could juggle work, teenagers, aging parents, a non-live-in relationship, social engagements, housework and occasionally home maintenance. Where did that ball of fire go? Perhaps I used her up and wore her out. It appears she passed the torch to the younger generation, thank goodness.

I guess that is the natural course and I am grateful to have such capable inheritors. But I can't help being a little sad to not be the "one." I love the chaos of putting together a big family meal. I like the challenge of having both hot mashed potatoes and hot gravy on the table as people sit down. I enjoy the banter as bowls are passed clockwise, or is it counter clockwise. I like the suspense as everyone bites into the never-had-before casserole and I really like it when the dish gets a thumbs up. Ah me, maybe next holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment