Translate

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Coulda-woulda-shoulda...PO Day 301

Talking to someone who is facing rTSA surgery in a month or so made me think of things I would have done differently. I don't think there is anything big on the list, just little things that could have made life easier. Hind sight is always better than foresight.

Number one: I would have moved a recliner into the bedroom and created a temporary sleep site there. Between the recliner and the couch, I slept in the living room for six months as I was unable to get comfortable in a bed lying flat. It just would have been better to have a real sleep spot in the bedroom. I did not realize how long it would be before I could sleep in a bed properly.

Two: neither the hospital nor the surgeon provided the recommended style sling for post rTSA patients. I should have ordered one on the web instead of making do with my inadequate "broken shoulder" sling. Ask about a "shoulder immobilizer."

Three: easy to put on clothing was a big problem. I anticipated the "tops" issues and had a supply of large, loose men's shirts to wear around the house. But I didn't realize the Problems I would have with "bottoms" . It is very hard to pull up pants - underwear, bike shorts, zip up shorts or slacks,  exercise pull ons - with one hand. I don't have a good solution, just want to make you aware of the problem.

Four: skin problems: wearing a sling 24/7 keeps your skin folded against itself in several places. Your underarm and the inside fold of your elbow, for instance, get very irritated. A soft cloth between the folds of skin helps. Ask your therapist about a cream or ointment.

Five: more skin irritation. The sling itself eventually irritated my forearm. I cut the toe out of a sport sock and slid it onto my forearm to keep the sling from rubbing.

Six: ice. I personally did not like drippy ice packs. I found the freezer insert for a refrigerator bowl, the kind you take to a covered dish supper, worked very well. It was icy cold, lasted a long time, and did not drip or sweat.

Seven: lounge wear. Not Las Vegas lounge wear...lounge around the house clothing. :) There were a handful of nights that I could not face undressing and redressing for bed. I just slept in my clothes. The ideal solution was comfortable, loose fitting clothing that could do double duty as "at home" and "overnight". The ubiquitous pajama bottoms you see young people wear out in public with a big BIG shirt worked well. T-shirts don't work for a while as you can't pull them over your head.

Eight: shoes: slip ons or Velcro closures. But not athletic shoes that require socks ( hard to pull on) and fit snuggly ( hard to pull on).

Nine: hair. Unless you are a better one armed paper hanger than I am, fixing your hair is difficult. Curlers, curling irons, straightening irons, and blow dryers usually require two hands. My solution was a really short "do". It required only a tossle to look fairly good. If your significant other has had a secret ambition to be a hairdresser you might enlist their help. Forget rubber bands or scrunchies.

Ten: purses. I could not manage a regular purse. Too heavy and too awkward. I bought three or four very small woven bags on long cords or straps that I could wear cross body and that would hold the bare essentials - drivers license, debit card, a few dollar bills.

These worked for me after I eliminated what did not work for me. Everyone is different and will find their own solutions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment