Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A little trip...PO Day 294

We are going to visit a dear friend this weekend. She is very ill with a progressive disease that she has had for many years. In spite of that she has always been a fashionista and loves pink and purple. The "hotter" the pink the better. Gradually through the years pink has crept into her closet, her ephemera, even her home decor.

So, by chance, I came upon a real bargain in a silk jacket in a fairly hot pink.if I can figure out what to wear with it, I know it will be a hit. I thought about a black shirt and pants but that tones it down too much. I want to make a Statement! Grey T and skirt looks oddly oxymoronic. I'll probably go traditional and wear white shirt and pants. That's the only thing that lets the color pop.

I really am not being frivolous here. You never know what will lift the spirits of a suffering person. I took a hospitalized friend a huge stack of catalogs recently. It was better than a flower bouquet. She was throughly distracted by virtual shopping and could throw each away as she finished looking at  it. Another friend loved it that I brought Milky Way candy bars. Moisturizing lotion and lip balm are good as hospitals are so dry.

The only rule is "nothing that is hard to transport." You don't want to be juggling potted plants with real dirt room to room or house to car. How did the idea of flowers or plants get started? Must have been the florist industry's idea, Food is always good but you never know if the patient has diet restrictions. Plus hospital food service has really improved. Now there is often "grill" service and you can order special items.

Cards are always nice to receive. I can stand in front of a card display for twenty minutes looking for the perfect card. Not too sappy, not so serious but can't be smart aleck, light hearted with just the right combination of sincerity and humor. Amazingly, there always seems to be the perfect card. Hard to imagine the job of creating greeting card poetry over and over, True of any creative endeavor.

Well, I hope my attempt at a sartorial salutation goes well. I don't foresee wearing a hot pink silk blazer style jacket a lot otherwise. I'm thinking it will bring a smile to her face. I hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment