Translate

Friday, April 3, 2015

Always a worry...PO Day 291

There's always something to worry about even if there's nothing to worry about and things are great.

I've been really busy recently. Lots of  projects. I am so pleased to be able to do the different things and especially glad to have the energy and strength. It's almost like I have awakened from a long virtual coma in which I could see and hear everything going on around me but just could not get very involved. It was all I could do to perform the basic necessary tasks of life. But there was no room for any of the extras that make life interesting and fulfilled.

I guess it started with the desire to "summer up" the bedroom. It turned into more than I had expected but I am so pleased with the result. Then an idea for sewing project has been in the back of my mind for a long time and I finally did it. Now it's spring and the garden calls to me. So a couple days ago I spent the morning raking leaves, pulling weeds and tidying up. Yesterday the little recirculating fountain had quit recirculating and I spent a long time emptying it, refilling if, and reading the instruction manual. It turned out it was as simple as some of those annoying purple berries from the palm trees had gotten inside the motor case and were doing a very good job of stopping up the water flow. Problem solved.

The human hand is a marvel of engineering and that opposable thumb element is invaluable. But wearing gloves to protect those hands is just not my thing. I have a couple small, healing cuts on my hands from minor accidents and many little pin pricks from sewing.  No one wound is enough to talk about but the combined effect is that my hands are a little sore. So all of a sudden I am wondering how much risk of infection there is and how much danger of an infection spreading to my "hardware" exists.

From what I have read the metal parts of the artificial joint are a very good host for growing bacteria that is otherwise killed off in living tissue and circulating blood. Does this happen rarely? Only in immune suppressed people? Do my white blood cells have what it takes to beat back infection? Do I need to worry about this new wrinkle? I guess I'll take a few days off and let the little nicks heal up. But I hate to lose the momentum of this moment of enthusiasm. And the lingering question remains...Am I turning into a hypochondriac?



No comments:

Post a Comment