Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2015

I didn't say that! PO Day 298

Cave site! Too tall and you didn't fit through the opening to the CAVE SITE!

If you read yesterday's post you must have wondered why I was suggesting being too tall could keep early human from getting into his grave! Apple's word processor is great at anticipating what you are going to say and filling it in for you. But not infrequently it takes liberties with one's prose and inserts a word that totally changes the meaning. If you're not paying close attention weird things come out of your mouth, or fingers as it were.

The program is wonderfully smart. It even learns names and unusual words that the writer tends to use over and over and anticipates them. But if you are a messy two finger typist at 3:00 in the morning like I am you may teach the program to substitute words that are incorrect. I have typo'd the word shoulder so much that the program thinks it is spelled "shoukder" .  And "this" is frequently spelled "thus."

Not rarely the program will insert the strangest word, a really esoteric word, for the word I intended to use, like parabola for paradigm. I don't know what a parabola is! But if I am not watching closely that's what I get.

I could rave on about a writing "editor" who changes one's meaning but we are off to see our friends today. So even though it is unbelievably early I am up and out of here.

Good buy and sea ewe later.

1 comment: