Translate

Thursday, March 5, 2015

St. Somebody...PO Day 262

The culmination of the closet chaos was to take things to the local thrift shop. I love that it is here. I find it difficult to throw away useful items but have no problem donating or giving them away. And shopping there is fun and inexpensive. It is totally staffed by volunteers so it's a true charity operation. When they first opened I could not remrmber the name of the saint after which the catholic charity that runs it is called. So I started referring to it as St. Somebody's and the name has stuck. I really didn't mean it irreverently, more just smart aleck, I guess.

Anyway, I was there to donate. The volunteer ladies were engaged with a shopper, helping her
pick out clothes and shoes. It was as if they were helping Michele Obama shop. It turns out the fortyish woman is homeless and has been living in a tent in the woods. Someone stole all her belongings so she only had the things she was wearing. The local police had brought her to the thrift shop to see if they could help her.

I was so sad to realize homelessness is so close to my home. I was so moved by the care and attention the volunteers were giving her. I was impressed by how grateful the recipient of the help was. And I was pleased to see how helpful the local police were rather than just trying to move her along.

I don't know what will become of her. We don't have a local homeless shelter. What small assistance our community has is for women with young children. I hope she's not back sleeping in the woods but she probably is. Bless her heart, I hope she is safe. The volunteers took up a small collection from  workers and customers to help her a little. It's a drop in the bucket.

But the problem is bigger than just that one person. I fear she is the tip of the iceberg. We are told that most people are one paycheck from being homeless. Are there dozens of such people, unseen but moving on the edge of our community? Our little thrift shop supports only local people who are in need. Sometimes they supply clothing, often gasoline gift cards, food items, and occasionly rent money. But the need is always greater than the resources available.

I will keep donating and shopping. That's a small contribution. We also make a donation occasionally.  Mainly I think I will show a little respect and start calling them by their proper name, Society of St. Vincent de Paul.


No comments:

Post a Comment