Translate

Monday, March 2, 2015

Loss of muscle tone...PO Day 259

How have I been so unobservant? This didn't happen yesterday. My right arm is the operated shoulder side. And my right upper arm looks like a raisin, an old shriveled up raisin. I guess the muscle has withered enough to allow, even encourage, the skin to sag. I haven't been remiss in using the arm but there was a long period of forced inactivity.

I guess the lack of strength should have been a clue that the muscle was out of order. It's been a year and a half since I broke the shoulder and eight months since rTSA surgery. So that arm has been just hanging around all that time. Muscles atrophy without use. I knew that. I just didn't realize it would happen to my muscles!

But I looked in the mirror today and there was no denying it...My right arm looks a hundred years old. I admit my arms are old lady arms already. But I didn't use to be embarrassed by them. I wore sleeveless shirts without a second thought. But now....well, thank goodness it is winter and long sleeves or jackets are de rigueur.

The only thing to do is put that arm to work even more. We'll see if I am able to build some muscle again. I guess this reveals my true priorities...I could ignore the weakened arm but the saggy look demands drastic action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment