Translate

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Grocery shopping....PO Day 267

We went to the grocery store this morning. I know it's not shoulder surgery or even medical related but it consumes a big part of our energy and budget. And it's essential to life. I try to shop just once a week but there is often the quick stop for milk or bread or a forgotten item. I go to a "full service" grocery store, not a super center or a "club." I'm not opposed to them, just don't live close enough to one. Anyway, I got to thinking about the logistics of grocery shopping.

 A lot of literature about grocery shopping says the best day to shop is Wednesday. That's because the stores often change their ads mid week. I asked the check out person when the store is the least busy. She said, "definitely Monday morning." It was certainly true this morning.  No waiting in line for a cashier. Just zipped right through. I was told weekends were the most busy. You'd have guessed that. And, while lots of websites suggest shopping at the dinner hour, around here that can be a very busy time. So early Monday morning it is. Only problem with that is that the store and the staff are not in full gear very early. Rotisserie chickens aren't done yet and the fish are still chilling out in the freezer. But there are few customers and checking out is simple and fast.

Don't shop when you're hungry. It leads to too many impulse buys. Shop with a list. (I never do!) That helps avoid being tempted by displays and you'll be less likely to forget things. If you're going to my grocery store, take a sweater. The store is absolutely freezing! It's funny to watch customers in the summer when it's 95 F in the shade donning sweaters in the parking lot. Carry the ad with you so you can prove stouffer's pizza is 2 for $5.00. And organize your coupons the best you can.

I always wonder how our grocery bill compares with others'. Am I extravagant? Am I too frugal? A
Google search reveals a lot about other people's grocery bills. For 2014 the USDA projects a male-female couple over the age of 51 will spend the following: if they are thrifty, $370.00 a month; on a low cost budget $476.00; moderate spending $593.00; and liberally budgeted $715.00. This accounts for all meals at home, plus snacks. Wow. I think we eat well, good food and plenty of it, and compare very favorably with these figures. As I said, we're not close enough to shop at the all-in-one discount centers, we don't even split our shopping trip between two or three grocery stores to get the different  bargains each week. But we don't eat a lot of pre-prepared foods, mostly "from scratch" menus. I wonder if that keeps the cost down a little?

This new information makes me want to go back and buy that small eye round roast for $18.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment