Translate

Saturday, March 28, 2015

More About Tor...PO Day 285

Following up on yesterday's entry...I went to torproject.org and learned a lot about Tor as a web browser, how it works and who can use it. I'm thinking about it but haven't done it yet. I'm a little nervous installing new software on my equipment. Experience has taught me that things can go wrong. If I was smart I would install something new on one device and wait a while but I usually jump in with both feet, or I should say two iPads and one laptop.

In this case I will be limited by circumstances as Tor requires OSX which my older equipment does not have. Fate is looking out for me.

Here's what the Tor homepage says:

"The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
The Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained."
I wonder if the Clintons' private server used Tor. That would be a really great endorsement and, given the state of affairs, would have been very wise. Has everyone else always known about this? Finally, how great they provide this for free. The website does suggest a donation, much like Wikipedia does, which seems quite reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment