Translate

Monday, March 23, 2015

3-D printing...PO Day 280

I don't get 3-D printing. Oh, I guess I can visualize pouring some polypropylene beads into a hopper and duplicating a little toy soldier or cowboy. Apparently that is possible and even cost effective with the price dropping machines available to the home hobbiest.

But living tissue?

According to WebMD, it is now possible to replicate human tissue. The example they cited was a cancerous tumor. A sample of a patient's tumor can be used to create the actual tumor in the lab. Then different treatments can be tried on the tumor to see how they would work in the real case. Customizing treatment for the specific needs of the individual.

An example of creating an ear was used although I don't know if that is already possible. I have read about growing replacement body parts in the lab. Is a heart or a kidney far away?

What about a new humerus for rTSA surgery patients? Instead of a stainless steel rod inserted into a reamed out bone, there would just be your real lab-grown bone grafted onto the old. Would that be better? My " hardware" has never hurt. That just amazes me when I think about it. Does bone not have nerve sensation in it? According to Dr. Google, "The periosteal layer of bone tissue is highly pain-sensitive and an important cause of pain in several disease conditions causing bone pain, like fracturesosteoarthritis, etc." So, yes, bone feels pain. Wouldn't you think cutting the bone off, reaming it out and inserting a metal rod into the shaft would be eternally painful? Thank goodness, it appears not. The only ongoing discomfort I have had is from the muscle attachments and that is getting better and better, less and less, I should say.


Anyway, 3-D printing is moving from the factory setting to the laboratory and the possibilities are staggering. It's exciting and amazing what possibilities the future holds. But, for now, I am thankful for the medical advances that gave me the function and freedom from pain that my old-fashioned (!) surgery provided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment