Translate

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Monthly summary...PO Day 288

It's the last day of the month and I usually try to sum up my medical situation then. Well, not my whole medical situation...unfortunately post rTSA surgery is not my only health issue, but the only thing I talk about here. Medically, I mean.

I think I am doing great. I use my right arm, the operated side, almost normally now. The bedroom redo really put it to the test. Even a little hammering was required. I absolutely could not strike a small nail with the hammer in my left hand. I am still more ambidextrous than I used to be but I think that is largely due to habit.

Lifting weight is still a bit of a problem. The gallon of milk is my bellwether. I think, full, it weighs eight pounds. I've developed an interesting pouring technique, letting the weight rest on the counter and just tipping the container to allow the milk to flow into the glass. I might have to hold the glass below the counter height to allow it to fill. Haven't poured milk all over the floor yet!

Even stretching to reach the socks that hang out in the back of the dryer drum is possible. I may have to give the cute and functional "grabber-picker upper" to the grandchild who found it at Cracker Barrel and insisted I needed it. He was right!

I have pretty much full range of motion now. There remains some sharp pain if I move my arm behind my back. But even that is improving. I can tie an apron behind my back with difficulty. I would not be able to hook a bra in the usual manner and still wear my converted front closure bras. I think I'll probably always have do that. I am not doing range of motion exercises anymore. But I do stretch several times a day.

Reaching up to get somethings off of the third kitchen cupboard shelf is no problem, or at least it wouldn't be if I hadn't shrunk. I am just shorter than I was. Can't blame that on rTSA surgery. I don't have any excuse for not hanging up clothes in the closet now. I am truly  surprised at how well my shoulder allows my arm to move.

Scrubbing something, a dirty pan or a shower wall, is a little difficult. It requires both strength and coordination. I can do it but it's a little hard. I bought some rinse off tile cleaner to use for the interim. I just have to tough it out when faced with a dirty pan. The day is coming when I am going to have to spend the day really cleaning pots and pans. They have been a bit ignored this past nine months. At least I don't have any copper bottom pans.

I haven't taken any pain medication for my right shoulder in months. Just don't need it. I did apply ice  and heat in the first weeks, even months, after surgery. And took the occasional ibuprofen in the early days.

I can roll over in bed and even use my right arm to push myself around in bed. It's minimally uncomfortable to   lie on the shoulder for any length of time. And I still have five (!) pillows to help pad and support elbows, knees and heads.

So yes, I   do have some limitations but I am doing great. It's been nine months and I can honestly now say that things are pretty much normal. But it has taken a full nine months. I think of myself as a fast healer and pretty tolerant of medical adversity so I would predict  that recovery period for most people.

Oh, likewise the residual breathing problems following the pneumothorax are gone. I am no longer breathless so much of the time. That did take a long time to resolve. But I feel like my lung capacity is back to normal.

I don't see my surgeon again until June, one year post surgery. I should be 101% by then. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment