Translate

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Selfie @ 6 months...PO Day 184

I can't explain the animation, if it is still going on as this is posted on my blog. I guess it is switching between the two X-rays . The. good news is that everything is still where it is supposed to be. The longer it stays put,the more tissue grow into the device and the less likelihood that there will be a dislocation.

Of course , we talked about the discomfort I have. Dr. Kai says it is due to the way the muscles have to be pulled tight and afixed to the bone. The tightness facilitates raising and lowering the arm but also causes the pain. He says that with time the muscles should stretch out some and feel less sore. But there may always be some discomfort. I can accept that. He says use the arm, reaching and stretching as much possible. I do, I do!

I was given their version of the SST, Simple Shoulder Test. It included those throwing a ball 65 feet overhand and underhand questions. I don't see how that is a good judge of function for a non-ball playing woman. Ask me if I can stir a stiff cookie batter with that arm, can I hang up clothes on a clothesline, could I clean my oriental rug on knees with a scrub brush. By the way, the rug looks terrific!

Because I was given a copy of the op notes, I learned the manufacturer of my artificial shoulder device. The company is based about 70 miles from here. I asked Dr. Kai if it was alright for me to contact the company and perhaps ask for a tour. He thought it was a great idea and encouraged me to do it. So after Christmas I will get to work on that project. I think it would be very interesting.

I see the doctor again in six months, then convert to a once a year schedule. I think this is going to be a lifelong relationship. But it looks like he is more committed to his patients than to his staff...almost everyone was new. Since he is a hospital affiliated doctor, does he control his staff or does the hospital manage employees? Another doctor I see, my primary care physician, is constantly rotating staff in and out. He, too, is a hospital employed physician. They both have one "right hand man" (in both cases a woman) who does not change but seems everyone else is expendable.

The modern state of employment is challenging. There does not appear to be much, if any, loyalty to the employee. Does not bode well for job security. So glad I am retired, I don't get nearly as much accomplished as when I worked. Everyone agrees that is true for them too.

It's like that old adage, " if you want something done, assign it to a busy person." Not me, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment