Translate

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Decorating...PO Day 171

It's December 2nd and time to start thinking about decorating for Christmas...if you're going to do it. I am always amazed at the german tradition of putting up the Christmas tree on the night of the 24th. If I am decorating I want to get my "money's worth." It's a huge investment in time and energy, too much for just one night.

I "inherited" my mother's collection of Christmas houses. I have had them for years but never displayed them. So last year I decided to put them out. I couldn't find them! These are no little things. As Christmas drew closer I just gave up. Well, looking for something else several months ago I found them stored in a window seat. Who put them there, I wonder. So today was the day to get them out. I set them up in the kitchen to see if the lights worked. A couple had a broken chimney or railing that required gluing. Two are missing the electric cord and little light bulb. I think replacements are sold someplace. The electric cords are more of a snarled mess than what you see behind your computer work station. All of them were dusty and got a light brush off. Finally they were ready to be moved to their temporary home. Houses, cords, and extension cords had to be moved in groups of three or four, up and down the stairs many trips. Electric outlets were not as accessible as they had been in the kitchen so a trip to the hardware store for a surge protector multi outlet unit was required. There was a lot of reaching and stretching, the houses in groups were heavy but I thought five loaded down trips were better than twenty safer trips one at a time. My arm sure had a work out.

Last night was a restless night. I foresee tonight will be the same. It's that over tired thing. My shoulder is still hurting more than in weeks or months past. I wonder if it is because I have upped my activity level?  I was cleaning a silver plate tray last night. It was quite a workout for my arm, a lot of elbow grease and a small amount of tarnish remover. I am just no good as a leftie doing something like that. Tomorrow I might put up some decorations outdoors and that ought to do it. Perhaps my arm will have time to settle down before my doctor appointment in about ten days.

But there are cookies to bake and Christmas cards to address. The good thing is my handwriting has suddenly improved. For a while it was nearly illegible. Chaos has begun to take over so it's  definitely time to tidy up. Maybe even vacuum! Now there's a work out! I'm not planning anything that involves the ladder. Although there are some windows that could use washing. I guess they'll have to wait.








Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, 
August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October - getting back to 
normal. November. - still recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment