Translate

Monday, December 15, 2014

Nighttime angst...PO DAY 183

Wouldn't you know...I see my orthopedic doctor this morning and my arm/shoulder is more sore than usual. Other than a mega day shopping Saturday which did not cause any trouble yesterday, I can't explain it. What did I do yesterday? I made some toffee, that recipe with butter, brown sugar and saltines. Yum. I packaged up a few pre-Christmas gifts to take to the post office today. I wrote my Christmas cards. My hand writing has improved considerably, thank goodness. Last year my cards were barely legible. Nothing to warrant discomfort.

I can't call it pain, definitely discomfort. I can't describe it as other than muscular. When I discussed it with the doctor before he said it was the deltoid muscle and its new connections. From my reading the deltoid is connected either by drilling into the bone to anchor it or by installing screws into the bone to tie the muscle to. I have to ask him how he did it. I'd just like to understand what and why it hurts.

But even though I'm complaining, I am not unhappy. Before surgery the doctor asked me what I hoped the outcome would be. I said I would be happy if I either had less sharp, stabbing pain or if I had some better functional use of my arm. Well, I definitely have both of those positive results. The grinding bone pain is gone and I can reach and use my arm quite normally. Yes, it is pretty stiff and there are motions than tweak me but all in all it is so much better.

Do I think it is slowly getting better? I do. But the improvement is slow. I want it all and I want it now. I do know that simply taking one ibuprofen almost totally relieves the discomfort. But ibuprofen keeps me awake and nighttime is when I am most uncomfortable. I certainly don't need any narcotic type drug.

I wonder if an ice pack would help. I think I will go get one. I haven't used ice on my shoulder is quite some time but it was very helpful in the month or two post surgery.

Nite all.






Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, 
August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October - getting back to 
normal. November. - still recovering. December - 6 months PO!

No comments:

Post a Comment