Translate

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

When did it happen....PO DAy 212


Have I not been paying attention? I thought I was a good observer but apparently not.

Sometime this afternoon I realized that one of the two painful areas in my operated arm did not hurt. Was it a momentary relief? When did it stop hurting? I stretched, raising and extending my arm...no, it did not hurt in the front bicep area which was one of the two spots that had been exquisitely tender. I've pointed this tenderness out to the orthopod every time I've seen him. His standard response is "it's where the deltoid muscle is now attached to the bone and hopefully with time the pain will ease off." At nearly seven months post op, I have to admit, I had pretty much resigned myself to it not easing off.

That was okay. I accepted the discomfort as a trade off for having a good functioning arm. The pain was sharp and was an instant reminder to stop moving one's arm in the manner that was causing the pain. But it also hurt in a low grade chronic kind of way and was at least partially to blame for my poor sleep. Positioning oneself to go to sleep brought out the worst of the discomfort. Interestingly, I have been sleeping better the past few nights. Could it be because some of the pain has disappeared? And I didn't even know it!

Did I do something to alleviate the pain? Perhaps. I still have a problem putting on and taking off a shirt and especially, a jacket. It is really annoying. So I have been practicing putting on and removing a suede jacket. I chose the suede jacket since it does not stretch and that usually increases the frustration factor. Anyway, I have been struggling into and out of the jacket six or eight times a day for the past few days. And it's been getting easier! Not perfect, but easier. I'm still at the point that the procedure isn't pretty. If I were wearing the jacket out in public I would leave it on or leave it off and not submit others to the spectacle. But at least I can now do it! Could this manipulation be the explanation?

I think it's the only explanation. None of my exercises cause me to maneuver my operated arm behind my back. When I was given the exercises putting my arm behind me was totally forbidden. I am now allowed that position so long as I don't force it. Well, whatever the reason, I am very pleased  to realize the pain has abated, changed in a positive way.

Is this an example of occupational therapy? Therapy designed to help one do the ordinary things in life? Or should I call it fashion therapy? I love this little suede jacket and it doesn't look as if the weather here is going to get cool enough to wear it! So I get a little thrill every time I put it on.

Whatever. I am just so glad to recognize the progress I have made!




Archive timeline: 2014: May and June - preparing for surgery, July - surgery and post op problems, 
August - recovery and physical therapy, September - thinking medically, October - getting back to normal. November. -still in recovery, December-6 months and holding.  2015 January-current events.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is GREAT news! Therapy of your own design achieved a good result over time as you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete