Translate

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Sign life away....PO Day 205

I went to the doctor today, not my orthopod, another doctor. I like him and his staff. It's always a good experience to see him. BUT I felt as if I were signing my life away! First I had to sign a form stating that I had insurance and it was the same as what I had last visit. Next there was a form averring that I understood the HIPAA rules regarding privacy. I wanted a copy of a recent lab report so I had to sign that I was receiving a form to take away. I was getting a new prescription so I had to sign a form
 stating I understood the drug and the directions of how to use it. One form simply said I was actually there on this date! Finally there was a special form asking if I had been to certain west African countries recently, did I know anyone who had, and had I had a low grade fever recently? All this was for Ebola. Wow.

Then I stopped at the pharmacy on the way home. Their system uses a touch screen rather than real paper. My signature is bad enough with pen and paper, a stylus and a touch screen produce an almost unreadable scribble. But I signed.  I signed that I was picking up a new prescription. Then  I signed to say I was picking up an old RX. Next I signed that I did want the RX's on auto fill. For some reason I had to say that twice. I think there was one more form and then I was good to sign for the purchase which I did at last!

Well I can report I probably only generated six or seven pieces of paper today. Pages that have to be filed or launched as paper airplanes.

What happened to the paperless society? I don't think there is anything efficient or time saving about this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment