Translate

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Too much gratitude...PO Day 230

It may seem this subject has little to do with shoulder replacement surgery but it really does. I have never in my life been grateful to so many people for so many things, big and little. So I have had plenty of opportunity to ponder the problem of saying thanks. It's very complicated.

If someone does something nice for you, you may want to give them a gift. That's when it gets to be a problem. I sent a gift card to the radiologist who diagnosed my collapsed lung. He sent it back! It came home with a nice note that said he was just doing his job, no reward necessary. Now what do I do? Life would have been so much easier if he had accepted the gift.

But I know how he felt. I recently did something for a good friend. I was glad to help her and it was no big deal. She gave me a nice thank you card and a too much gift card. So when her birthday came up, I returned the gift card along with a small birthday present. She sent me a thank you note with the gift card. I am waiting for a " card-worthy event" to return the gift card to her. This could become a tradition.

A friend of Dear Daughter's, who lives very far away, often does helpful things for her, things I would do if I lived nearby. So when, through a serendipitous combination of events, I acquired a new piece of Le Creuset cookware, I sent it to the friend as a thank you gift for helping my daughter and her family. I expected a nice thank you card but received a beautiful blooming orchid with a nice note. Now I owe her a thank you. Where does this end!

If someone gives you a gift in person and you thank them profusely in person, should you send a written thank you? I never knew before how much it meant to receive "get well" cards. Should I send thank you notes? The cards were greatly appreciated. And what if someone does something really nice for you, I mean really thoughtful, and you fail to write them a thank you note in a timely period...when does the acceptable "thank you" window close? The longer time passes the harder it is to do or say the proper thing. It is complicated.

Twice in my life I have sent a small "gift" anonymously. I wanted to do something and I really did not want any thanks or gratitude. Both times it caused such a fuss, a ruckus, an unpleasant aura of suspicion, that I finally had to confess I was the one who had sent the gift. Wow, did those good intentions backfire! I guess it is okay to make an anonymous donation to a charity, even noble, but don't try it with family. It will only get you in trouble.

I confess, I am not good at saying or writing the right thing. It is all there in my heart. I just have a hard time putting my gratitude into words on paper. And yet I know how much I appreciate a sincere thank you note. I think I am going to close out this post and go write a couple thank you notes for Christmas presents. Is it too late?





1 comment:

  1. It CAN'T be too late for if it is I am in very big trouble. Very guilty on this score myself.

    ReplyDelete