Translate

Thursday, July 2, 2015

correctedpost 374




I'm trying to do better about using the right tool for the job. I no longer use a table knife as a screw driver. Mostly it is to save the table knife. If I am hanging a picture I go and get a small hammer instead of grabbing a high heel shoes. Fact is as I have gotten older there aren't too many stilletto heels available here. I love kitchen things so I usually have the esoteric kitchen apparatus like a lemon zester or a ginger grater. I have one kitchen drawer that  overflows with cooking hand tools                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

So when I wanted to replace the battery in a watch today I went and got  that hox of miniature screw drivers, the ones you use to replair your glasses frame or unscrew that tiny screw that is holding parts to the packaging of the newly purchased electronic item. That's a whole other post...don't you hate the way things are packaged now so that you need a utility knife, a screw driver and a pair of pliers to remove the new house portable phone from the box?

Back to the subject though. I was experienced. A few days ago I took the back off of another watch, infrequently worn, and went to the drug store and bought a replacement battery and installed it. The only problem was that the drug store purchased battery cost more than my jeweler charges to provide the battery and put it in. Surely there was a less expensive source of watch batteries.

Omigosh! A Google search took me to Amazon where I learned I could  buy fifteen (15!) "373" Eveready watch batteries with free shipping.for fifty cents motre than one such battery at the drug store.  I placed my order. I will have enough batteries to last the rest of my life! But for now I had to open the watch of the moment and learn what size battery it uses. Hopefully, a 373. I found the little notch under the edge of the bezel back on my watch. I placed the tip of the screwdriver into the notch (it didn't seem to drop into the little groove like it should have). I pried, nothing happened. I twisted the blade, no success. I tried the slightly bigger miniature screw driver. I tried the smaller. Nothing happened, Well, other than nearly stabbing myself with the point of the screwdriver as it slipped out of the supposed groove and skidded across the back of the watch leaving a big scratch and stopping millemeters from my fingers of my left hand which were gripping the watch case.

An hour later and an unknown number of attempts to remove the back with every conceivable household instrumment that one could imagine might work, the back had not budged. I even slathered the back of the watch with penetrating oil in case it was corrodid and that was why it wold not pop off. No luck.In frustration and despair I scooped everything up and went to the jewelers. She took my watch, walked behind her workbench and immediately I heard a loud snap. "Was that the back popping off," I asked. It was! "How did you do that?"

With the right tool, of course. A watch back remover. The basic model available on amazon for $4.00! It kind of resembles an oyster knife but with a short stocky blade. My kingdom for a watch back remover! I am definitely getting one of those!

Next I will want the press that makes it easy and efficient to put the back on after installing the new battery. I wonder how a hammer or heavy pliers would work. I'll let you know.


And I wonder when I will start realizing the savings from buying my batterys on line.


--
Posted By Blogger to  Reverse Total shoulder replacement surgery, A Patient's Point of View at 7/02/2015 10:56:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment